Saturday, June 13, 2009

Jars

So... on Tuesday I went to Pottery Barn for the first time in a while with my friend Katie. Readers of this blog know how deeply devoted I am to Pottery Barn. I found many things I wished to purchase many things... unfortunately they were all out of my price range (a common, unfortunate occurence). However, I found these jars. I looked at them and thought, "hmm... those are kind of cute." I went and looked and checked the price. $7.50 (although I'm sure that's a lot of money for a jar). Hey! I could afford that! But what would I do with them? In the store they had these jars hanging from an outdoor umbrella with candles in them. How adorable is that?? I bought them thinking that I'd find something I could do with them. I am regretting this decision... however. I really don't know what to do with them. I have had a couple of ideas... like putting a couple on the mantle with candles... putting some in the kitchen... the bathroom.. hanging them outside.... with... something in them....? I need some ideas. Anybody have some? I appreciate all the input I can get. Otherwise I'll just have to take them back and get something else.

1 comment:

  1. annie,
    these are my thoughts on the jars (a disclaimer; i may be blunt...what am i saying? you know who's writing this, of course i'm going to be blunt). i concure that these jars are very cute but i believe you are only excited about the fact that they are from pottery barn, which induced the decision to purchase them. your adoration and slight addiction towards pottery barn and lack of visits to the store at the time of purchase had produced an excitement that probably clouded your shopping judgement. with that in minde, i conclude that this may have been an impulsive buy. i feel that you do not deny it since you mention in your blog that it may have been "regrettable". yet, despite the rash decision that was propagated by deceitful marketing techniques like handsome cashiers, trendy music, and impeccable lighting schemes that fills most high end stores like pottery barn, there are only two things left to be done.

    take them back. what do these jars consist of except mason jars that are in plenty in the basement of the goodell home and that i'm sure are available for using as you would like, which i'm sure is negotiable with the mrs. goodell, and simple wire that can be found at the home depot or perhaps target? if i were an historian of house hold items i would hypothesize that mason jars were frequently recycled into candle lanterns during the great depression when financial depravity prevented many families from buying electric light bulbs or well fashioned oil lamps. people of this era may have ran out of food causing them to eat their food storage which may have consisted of canned peaches, pickles, apricots, and other various forms of rural produce. it then maybe safe to assume that these were stored in mason jars. as most obvious evidence of food consumption, the canned food would be gone leaving an empty mason jar which may then have been washed, dried, latched with wire, stuffed with a candle and hung in various places of the home for evening entertainment since these families could no longer afford outings to the picture shows. as you may wonder why this analogue should apply to your home decor, i would like to explain that this lovely item can be made and save about three dollars from that $7.50 purchase.

    option two. perhaps you may fill them with flowers. real flowers when they are available but silk or plastic flowers are quite economical and efficient for two busy students. then i would hang them either the kitchen or the hallway. maybe you would like a pet? a beta fish would live quite comfortably in that small space. if that is your choice then i would place it on the mantle.

    hope this helped.

    your sister,

    katherine (the one who cannot sleep right now and is slightly bored)

    ReplyDelete