Wednesday, August 19, 2009

infant caregiver chronicles.

This is how a typical day at work goes:

Baby 1 is hungry. I give Baby 1 a bottle. While I feed baby 1, baby 4 is in the high chair eating her pears. Half of the pears have ended up on the floor by now. Baby 3 sees pears and starts crawling over to them to get them. All I can do is stand in baby 3's way so she doesn't get the floor-germ-covered pears while I am still feeding baby 1. Then, baby 2 starts screaming because baby 2 is getting hungry. I wander over to him while still feeding baby 1 and make funny faces at him to make him laugh and hopefully keep him happy until it's his turn... while baby 3 is still trying to get to the pears. I take turns alternating between baby 2 and 3 until baby 1 is finished. baby 1 needs a diaper change as well so after I burp her, I go to change her diaper. baby 2 is freaking out now because he's starving. I put baby 1 in the swing and then I bleach the diaper table and wash my hands. then...

I put baby 3 in the walker so she can't get any pears. then I finally feed baby 2. he is a bit distracted because baby 4 is getting fussy and wants to get out of the high chair. I give baby 4 her sippy cup and she gives a big (and a adorable) smile and is happy for a few more minutes. baby 2 finishes his bottle and then I put him on the floor again and he rolls around and is happy for a bit. I get baby 4 out of the high chair and wash her off, then clean up the pears and such until baby 1 decides she doesn't want to be in the swing anymore and wants to be held. I hold baby 1 for a minute until she calms down and then put her back in the swing, which is silly because then her mom shows up. talk to her mom for a few minutes ( I rather enjoy chatting with the moms. they are fun people) and then she takes off.

3 babies now. I change a few more diapers then give baby 3 a bottle. she holds her own bottle so she's good for a bit. in fact, she REALLY enjoys taking her bottle on her own. baby 2's dad has come so he gets to go home. 2 babies now. but... oh dear. 2 toddlers have just arrived for me to watch during the last hour. 2 babies and 2 toddlers. wow.

baby 4 wants a bottle now so while I feed her, toddler 1 and toddler 2 are ripping pretty much everything off the shelves. sometimes they are really cute and funny about and other times....not so much. baby 4 wants to join in the fun so she gets down and plays too. i have to keep telling the toddlers not to climb on the baby bouncer and not under the walker. meanwhile... baby 3 is done with her bottle so now it's time to give her some baby food. after that it's time to change the toddler's diapers. then toddler 1 goes home. and baby 4 goes home.

then baby 3 starts to get sleepy so I turn out the lights and turn on some lullaby music to rock her too then toddler 2 wants to get in a rocking chair too so she scrambles on top of the other one while I nearly have a heart attack because it looks like she is about to KNOCK it over. but then her mom arrives so everything is all good.

baby 3 falls asleep until her mom gets here. then I clean and leave.

it's a pretty crazy 3 hours, but I'm learning a lot and those babies put a smile on my face and I'm always so sad to see them grow up and move to the toddler room.

No comments:

Post a Comment