Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My secrets to taking finals successfully

Well, I just got home from taking my last final! Hurray! To celebrate finals being over I decided that I will share my test taking secrets with all of you.

Step 1: Start studying no later than 7:00 the night before the test (for best results and to avoid an emotional break down, it is better to start studying several days before).

- have some sort of sweet treat on hand to assist in you in your studying. I recommend reeses or these excellent chocolate sandwich cookies from target that Steven and I love.

- it's ok to take a break every 15 minutes or so (however, it does make the studying process take MUCH much longer, but usually helps you maintain sanity).

- keep the TV off. I tried watching Friends and studying at the same time, it really didn't help.

Step 2: Get 8 1/2 - 9 hours of sleep.

- this is probably THE most important part. Don't worry if you didn't finish your studying, Step 4 will help you with that.

Step 3: Do some quick exercise to help wake you up.

- I particularly like 20 minute pilates or jumping jacks if you don't have much time.

Step 4: Eat a good-for-you, big breakfast.

- I start with a bowl of frosted mini-wheats, then moved on to a mandarin orange, and then a couple of reeses (this is my reward to myself for studying and actually getting up to take the test).

- Do any last minute studying you may not have finished the night before while you eat.

Step 5: Leave a little early for your test.

- If breakfast didn't give you enough time to study, this will also help you squeeze in some last minute studying.


I find that taking these steps gives me very good results with taking my finals. I hope that you find these useful and that you all do well on your finals.

1 comment:

  1. Dang it! Where was this list ten years ago when I needed it? Really Annie, could you get your tips out a little earlier next time?

    ReplyDelete