Tuesday, September 6, 2011

NAMIWalk

Apologies now for the super long post, but please, please, PLEASE read it! I am in need of help to pull off this NAMIWalk and getting donations. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Is such a great organization and the help they provide to the community is phenomenal.
*********************************
Dear family and friends,

I am writing you today to tell you about an upcoming event that I am participating in that is both very important and very exciting to me.  NAMIWalks, the signature walkathon event of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is being held in  Taylorsville, UT on September 24, 2011. I am the Entertainment Chair for the NAMIWalk and it has been so fun to help put such a great event together.

I became involved with NAMI in January working as an Intern. I learned about symptoms of mental illness (i.e. depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD) in children and had the chance to present workshops to teachers about these symptoms. I also had the chance to attend some of their family support groups. I quickly fell in love with NAMI and the great services they provide to the community. As I read and learned about different symptoms of mental illness, I quickly realized how many kids I had worked with either in day care or at the school district who had been struggling with these symptoms, and I had no idea what they were or what they meant. Some were "kicked out" of school because their behavior was so unmanageable, or others continued to struggle needlessly throughout the day. Their development and learning quickly became hindered because of their struggles. No matter WHAT the other teachers and I did to try and comfort these kids or meet their needs, it was too stressful for us and the child. Granted, all kids are different and have different personalities, but there were some who we truly felt could possibly be suffering from mental illness. I also realized that some of my best friends had shown symptoms of mental illness when we were teenagers. They tried to tell me that they were deeply unhappy, but I had no idea what to do to help them.

From working with NAMI, I have realized how very real and common mental illness is. I have seen people who have never been able to find help and hope with their struggles. But, I have also seen the families who come to NAMI and find the hope and healing they are looking. I have loved working with NAMI and I have seen how their services to the community can change lives. I am now more aware of mental illness and how I can support those around me who may be suffering. My desire is to reduce the stigma of mental illness in the community so those who are suffering don't feel ashamed to find the help they need. These are just some of the reasons why I am supporting NAMI in their annual Walk.

I would like to ask you to come and walk with me or to donate to support my participation in this great event. If you would like to register to walk with me, visit http://www.nami.org/namiwalks.  OR if you just want to make a donation to sponsor me, visit http://www.nami.org/walkdonation.cfm?id=170052. Donating online is fast and secure, and I'll get immediate notification via e-mail of your donation. My goal is to personally raise $300.00 (I now have $50.00) before the day of the walk. OR I also need individuals willing to come help volunteer with the entertainment on the day of the walk. This would involve being at Valley Regional Park from about 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM. There will be lots of fun games and activities!

NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the largest education, support and advocacy organization that serves the needs of all whose lives are touched by these illnesses.  This includes persons with mental illness, their families, friends, employers, the law enforcement community and policy makers.  The NAMI organization is composed of approximately 1100 local affiliates, 50 state offices and a national office.

The goals of the NAMIWalks program are: to fight the stigma that surrounds mental illness, to build awareness of the fact that the mental health system in this country needs to be improved, and to raise funds for NAMI so that they can continue their mission.

 Thank you you so much for reading this (long!!!) email and for all of your support!!

Sincerely,
Annie Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment